Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Happy 34th Birthday

So I have now reached 34 years of age. I don't know why this age is significant for me but it feels different.  When I turned 16 years old, it was all about getting my license to drive.  When I turned 18 yrs. old is was all about being an adult and doing adult things.  When I turned 21 yrs. old I was getting married, buying my first house, and raising my son.  Now at 34 yrs. old I find myself reflecting over the many changes that I have experienced in my life.  I understand what it means to truly thank Jesus for blessing me with a wonderful family, an awesome church home, and a career that I can be proud of in the field of information technology.
For the first time in my life, I feel that I am completely on my game.  If I were a professional athlete, I would describe this moment as the point where my talent, my athletic ability, and my knowledge of the game have all made a superlative union.  I have finally reached a point of appreciation for where I am and who’s I am.  Music sounds different to me now, time seems more precious, rest is more important and my thoughts are more thorough.  I am reaching the Cadillac years of my life.
I recollect conversations when teachers would say, “you guys will not make it to be 18…you will either be dead or in jail”.  Those words should never be spoken to young men and women of the future. Those words echoed in the minds of many of my peers and ultimately altered their lives to the point where their potential dwindled to nothing.  Those words gave birth to more single mothers, felons, and deaths during my generation than any hip-hop song, sexual R&B song, black exploitation movie, and or any other negative stigma that can be associated with my race.
So to reach this point in my life is great.  Standing on a mountain top and looking back over my life thus far has filled me with a since triumph.  I know that I have a long life ahead of me and so many things that I have yet to experience, but I am preparing for those challenges and ready to embrace them accordingly. 
Happy Birthday T4 and many more to come!!!

1 comment:

GENIUS328 said...

Man! Happy belated birthday brotha! Your reflections are the confessions of a man who has loosened the reins of his life and allowed Christ to take control. You are at a place where you no longer sweat the small stuff and seek wisdom over material possessions. Basically, if you were a professional athlete with this mind set you would be.......RETIRED!

I pray that you continue to be used and to let the Lord lead you in every facet of life. Your maturity in the spirit is being seen in the way you carry yourself physically so when you walk into a place people notice your "walk" and not your Detroit strut.

Happy Birthday T4; and may your walk carry you to the place your life is purposed to go.