Friday, June 3, 2011

Its So Hard To Say Goodbye

Listening to the Stephen A. Smith show on 710 ESPN, I finally heard Shaq speak verbally about his retirement decision this week.  I grew up watching Shaq from the time he came into the league to his last sub-par season  this year with Boston.  I have always felt that Shaq has been a tremendous force in the game and a larger than life figure outside of the game.  I have not agreed with every decision he has made on and off the court, but I think that he has be a great asset to the NBA and at times a role model to many.

It's so hard to say goodbye to many of the hall of fame atheletes we have watched for many years throughout their entire careerss.  Shaq, Chris Webber, Rashed Wallace, Jalen Rose, Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley, and many others.  Next up will be Grant Hill, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and etc.  It is interesting to reflect on the subject of retirement because one would figure that there will never be another player to replace your favorite players, but as time goes on and new kids come out of college the atheletes of today continue to carry the torch.

My only suggestion to all atheletes and non-atheletes alike, "don't let arrogance take you away from places where humility can keep you".

T4

1 comment:

GENIUS328 said...

Good post T4! I grew up watching J-Kidd play ball in high school, college, and now the pros. It's hard to watch him play with a team I cannot stand but he is still my favorite all-around baller because through his career he has consistently made those around them better. I look at him like I look at Oscar Robertson, a great floor general who will always be underrated because overrated players like Shaq and other current ballers steal the thunder in conversations regarding the greats.

After watching D-Wade get cocky in game 2 of the finals I was reminded of how humility can leave you as quickly as a dollar in Vegas and how much harder it is to recover what you have lost. We see it in all sports; Mike Tyson and Tiger Woods come to mind. However, arrogance to humility does pay off just ask one Michael Vick.

The up-and-coming athletes have a very broad history book of stars who had it all and fell from grace because of arrogance; they just have to take initiative and read it.