Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Rubio Experiment

The fifth pick of the first round 2009 NBA Draft was Rick Rubio by the Minnesota Timberwolves. Since being drafted by the Wolves, Rick has played overseas in the Spanish ACB League for the Barcelona. The media has covered Rick by providing the public nothing but praise. He has been compared to everyone from Steve Nash to Magic Johnson. Yes, I said Magic Johnson...are you kidding me!

Rick Rubio is 20 year old 6'4" point guard who has shown nothing so far that says he will be successful in the NBA. Meanwhile, the Timberwolves have been praising this kid for the past two years. The Associate Press of ESPN stated today, "For two years, Minnesota Timberwolves fans have been tantalized by the myth of Ricky Rubio". I have news for Wolves fans, there is no Rubio myth! This guy averaged 6.5 ppg, 3.5 apg, and 1.6 spg during the 2010-2011 season with the Barcelona club. Excuse me for saying this, but the Spanish ACB League is hardly on the level of the NBA when it comes to speed, game play, and talent. If Rubio put up those kinds of numbers playing in the Spanish League, what is he going to do when he plays against the likes of D. Rose, Rondo, Chris Paul, and others? There is no way ESPN, Minnesota Press, or anybody else is going to sale me on the Rubio Experiment.

The Rick Rubio pick for the Timberwolves is parallel to the Darko pick for the Detroit Pistons. Oh yeah, and who has Darko on their roster at this point time? The Wolves of course! In the Wolves passed on Stephen Curry, Brandon Jennings, Tyler Hansbrough, and Jeff Teague in 2009 draft. They did however manage to pick Ty Lawson though....but they turned around and traded him to Denver. Bottom line people of Minnesota, I hope you find something positive to look at when the Farvless Vikings take the field this year because your Wolves will surely bring about disappointment.
I hate to be the bearer of bad newz.....

1 comment:

GENIUS328 said...

Ok, I admit that I looked like I had swallowed a lemon when I heard Rubio's name called in 2009 because of all of the talent that was left on the board (Steph Curry and the rest) but when looking at this kid in Spain, I can see what all The hype is about. Sure, Spain isn't the NBA but neither is the NCAA or High School hoops but the products aren't bad when they enter the league (Bryant, Kidd, Durant, or Wade).

I guess what I am saying is that Rubio is an exciting European player who, while playing in his league, showed flashes of Pistol Pete. Now, how will his Spanish game translate in the NBA? The basketball world is anxious and thats great for a sport that had a great year. The truth of the matter is we don't have any clue how Rubio will do, but that's the best part about being a fan and not a GM.